Application for WACA 2022 is now available for UNEP. The UNDP West and Central Africa Sub-Roional Hub (UNDP WACA) is the main initiative in developing West Central Africa.
The UNDP Youth Innovator Challenge is an initiative designed to develop young entrepreneurs and innovators in West and Central Asia that provide innovative opportunities and improve their lives.
UNDP WACA Youth Innovation Challenge Overview
- Type: College School
- Organisation: United Nations Development Programme UNDP
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: September 2, 2022
UNDP WACA Youth Innovation Challenge 2022 [50,000 grant]
The UN Development Program Sub-Regional Hub for West and Central Africa (UNDP WACA) has launched the Challenge to encourage innovative young people and entrepreneurs who can provide innovative solutions to West and Central Africa.
The UNDP WACA Youth Innovation Challenge is a program designed to discover and promote the innovative and resilient efforts of youth of West as well as Central Africa.
It follows on from the 2021 debut edition which was the Sahel Innovate Challenge – which gave 10 youngsters from the Sahel Region with grants ranging from $1,000 to $20,000 to help them develop their ideas.
About United Nations Development Programme UNDP
UNDP is the result of the merger with the United Nations Expanded Programme of Technical Assistance established in 1949 in 1949, and the United Nations Special Fund, created in the year 1958.
UNDP in the form we recognize as it is now, was established on the 15th of November, 1965 at the General Assembly of the United Nations.
UNDP operates in around 170 nations and territories, assisting to eliminate poverty, cut down on the gap between rich and poor, and strengthen the capacity of countries to continue to make growth.
As the United Nations’ development agency, UNDP plays a critical part in helping countries to achieve goals of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Aim and Benefits of UNDP WACA Youth Innovation Challenge
- Five finalists will receive fully paid to take part and present their ideas during the 2022 YouthConnekt Sahel Forum in N’Djamena, Chad and win funding between $50,000 and $50,000 (total award envelope awarded to the top five innovators).
- Young innovators have the chance to gain access to funding and partnership opportunities.
- Evaluation committees will select 30 selected youth who will be invited to join the WACA innovator network and gain access to peer-to-peer learning, coaching and opportunities for training.
Requirements for UNDP WACA Youth Innovation Challenge Qualification
- The age limit is between the ages of 18 to 35.
- An individual who is a citizen (can be diaspora) of a West and Central African country: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
- The most effective current solutions (with tangible results) are in these areas of thematic focus Digital Transformation COVID-19 Recovery Health Education and peace and Security, Cultural and Creative Arts, Agroforestry and Climate Change.
How to Apply for UNDP WACA Youth Innovation Challenge
Are you interested and certified? Go to
United Nations Development Programme UNDP on forms.gle
Upload a video pitch that is not more than two minutes.
Video Submission Guidelines
- Recording should take place in a quiet location without background music or sounds (Listen to the audio prior to uploading your video and make sure you are able to hear).
- The video must address the question: What’s the effect of your solution on your local community? And what is its worth and its potential?
- Make sure the camera is in a neutral location to avoid a shaken recording.
- Check that the quality of the video’s image the footage is crisp and clear.
- Videos should be shot in “landscape/widescreen” mode.
- Recording should not be longer than two minutes. It may be done with the help of English, French, or Portuguese.
For more details,visit UNDP website